If other children sucks on their thumb, Sam uses his forefinger. He started this habit when we were in Japan. He's one year old back then. I thought, maybe, it's because of the cold weather and he's adjusting. And I noticed that when he sucks on his finger, he easily falls asleep. I didn't bother because I have already read long before that thumb or finger-sucking is a child's way to soothe and calm himself from different feelings - like when he's bored or tired. And it's totally normal, not really bad for babies or toddlers. I also read that it usually goes away when the child reaches 3 years old. So, I just let him suck.
Another habit that Sam developed is playing with his belly button... yeah, while finger-sucking! I don't know where he got the idea but these habits really, really calm him (and make our lives easier!) At first, I was a li'l bit worried because I was hearing stories of kids having infected belly buttons. So, I always check on Sam's belly button.... always... Sometimes, he's also pulling it and seems like his belly button is getting longer! I always tell him not to do that. I worry he might hurt himself. But he's okay and we get used to it.
However, Sam loves to explore and touch things. Bata eh. And because of that, he might also put the dirt and germs into his mouth. So his hands should really be always washed and cleaned.
And now that he's already 3, I'm wondering when he's gonna stop. I know it will eventually come but lately, I'm trying to stop him by talking to him or holding his hand... not really forcing him. But he always objects and put his finger back to his mouth and it just keeps on going on and on and on... so I think he's not yet ready.
Well I guess, I'll just have to wait. But I must admit, I am already worrying... worrying that it might affect Sam's speech development and teeth formation. So, I'm looking for ways to help him stop. And Webmd recommends
- putting gloves on child's hands or wrapping the thumb with an adhesive bandage or a cloth to help remind the child not to suck the thumb. I personally think this will not work because Sam will just become angry and will want the wrap removed!
- offering praise and rewards for not thumb-sucking. This may help the child break the habit. For example, put stickers on a calendar each day that the child doesn't suck his or her thumb. After an agreed-upon number of days, have a celebration for your child.
- not shaming or punishing the child for thumb-sucking. This will only lower the child's self-esteem.
Furthermore, here are 9 ways how to handle it correctly, also from Webmd:
- DO try to limit the time that your child sucks his thumb to his bedroom or in the house, not in public, Berman says. Explain to him that this is a bed activity during nap time and at night.
- DON'T turn it into a confrontation. "Don't tell your child, ‘You cannot suck your thumb anymore,'" Anderson says. "Try to recognize him and praise him when he's not sucking his thumb instead of criticizing when he is."
- DO talk to your child about her thumb sucking or finger sucking. "Help your child understand that when she is ready to stop, you will be there to help," Berman says. "She will eventually come to you and tell you, ‘Mommy, I don't want to suck my thumb anymore,' because you've empowered her to get there."
- DON'T prohibit your child if he tries to suck his thumb or fingers after being hurt or injured. "He needs to be in his comfort zone, and by not letting him go there, you're only traumatizing him more," Berman says.
- DO practice self-awareness with your child. "When your child is sucking his thumb, ask him, ‘Do you know you are sucking your thumb now?'" Hayes says. "If he says no, help him recognize that, and find another way to soothe him if he needs it, like a blanket or stuffed animal."
- DON'T use the nasty-tasting stuff that is marketed to stop thumb sucking and finger sucking. "It's just cruel," Berman says. "It's pulling the rug out from under your child and that's not fair."
- DO come up with creative ways to help your child understand that he is growing up and one day won't suck his thumb anymore. "Ask your child, ‘Do you think Bob the Builder sucks his thumb?'" Hayes says. "Then they'll think about, and start to process whether they want to be sucking their thumbs anymore."
- DON'T try a glove or a mitten on the hand as a quick-fix to thumb or finger sucking. "This will just frustrate them and cause more anxiety," Anderson says. "Likely, they're old enough to just take it off, and as a result, they'll just want to suck more."
- DO remember that a child will grow out of the need for thumb sucking or finger sucking when he's good and ready. "While parents may not like it, it's best left alone," Berman says. "Kids will eventually give it up."
Do you also have a kid who does thumb/finger-sucking? How are you helping him to stop from doing so? Please share! Will gladly appreciate it!
No comments :
Post a Comment